creative director | founder
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.— William Shakespeare’s Troilus and Cressida
Working at the intersections of the environment, public health and social justice, Rob thrives when promoting innovation and collaboration that strikes at the heart of the most pressing challenges of our time.
Rob’s work spans systems, policy, practice and narrative, and the techniques that influence them (e.g., grassroots, advocacy, coalition-building), to craft holistic and sustainable change. Highlights at MG: brokering new partnerships for NASA with Conservation International and Mercy Corps; co-crafting the health field’s climate change strategy; facilitating the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s inaugural climate change and equity gathering; serving The Kresge Foundation’s Climate Change, Health & Equity initiative as its strategic communication partner.
Areas of expertise include:
- Leading teams to envision new futures and implement strategies to achieve them
- Shifting organizational culture to align with social purpose commitments
Prior to MG, Rob led the team that developed the 30-year plan to conserve the greater Gombe ecosystem and its famous chimpanzees. He collaborated with artists, athletes and educators to create a popular multimedia campaign to reduce the unsustainable incidence of wildfires in Tanzania.
He also managed Dr. Jane Goodall’s writing requests; provided research and writing for more than 150 written works, including research for Harvest for Hope and Hope for Animals and Their World.
Rob brings the following education background:
- M.Phil., conservation leadership, University of Cambridge, England
- B.A., English, Willamette University
- Iowa Writers’ Workshop Summer Program
Rob finds wonder in acrobatic prose. He is also an avid writer. His contest-winning short story “First Light” is featured in the climate fiction anthology Winds of Change. His debut novel was short-listed for the Landmark Prize in Fiction. His community involvement includes:
- Board, Native Arts and Cultures Foundation (2019-present)
- Distinguished Alumni Citation, Willamette University (2017)
- Board, NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon (2014-2015)
- Faculty Board of Earth Sciences and Geography, University of Cambridge (2011)
- Library Syndicate, University of Cambridge (2011)
- Board of Governors, Human Rights Campaign (2006-2007)
- National Capital Region Steering Committee, Human Rights Campaign (2003-2007)