Senior Digital Strategist
Are you looking to join a group of change agents working to understand and advance ways of creating a society where everyone thrives? Metropolitan Group is looking for a senior digital strategist who is passionately committed to creating a more just and sustainable world through work at the intersection of social justice, public health and the environment.
The Senior Digital Strategist plays a leadership role in strategic direction, project leadership and high-level implementation of digital strategies for client and agency projects. They collaborate with clients and teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategies for social change initiatives and in work that builds the capacity of organizations that advance social change.
- Serve as the lead digital strategist for Metropolitan Group’s clients developing digital strategies that advance social change campaigns, build movements and strengthen social purpose organizations.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction, management of digital team members and contractors.
- Participate in and support new business development to bring in new accounts and to grow existing relationships.
- Serve as a member of the MG senior team (responsible for contributing to the company’s thought leadership, professional development, strategy and service/subject area expert teams).
General Responsibilities Include
But Are Not Limited To:
LEAD DIGITAL STRATEGIST:
- Provide high-level consulting and strategic counsel to clients and strategic direction to project teams, effectively deploying digital team members to meet client and internal needs based on their skills, growth goals and capacity.
- Lead digital strategy (campaign ideation, communications strategy, engagement strategy, partnership strategy, social media strategy, technology strategy, lead/donation generation, media planning/ buying, CRM/email marketing activities, SEO, SEM, influencer programs, experiential integration).
- Lead formative research/testing/brand and audience insights (digital research, digital surveying, digital audience analysis, message testing).
- Lead or engage external vendors to provide web and mobile app development (ideation, U/X, U/I, design, copywriting, production, launch).
- Serve as the internal and external digital thought leader, helping to identify trends; evolving best practices, new technologies/tools for all social efforts from a global perspective that drive engagement and ROI.
- Serve as lead strategist for Metropolitan Group’s digital presence.
- Design, implement and evaluate social change campaigns, including guiding the work of MG teams, contractors and partner organizations and doing direct implementation of key components of the work.
- Write and present a wide range of communication materials, including project strategies, issue briefings, finding and data analysis reports and recommendations, and other content.
- Provide account leadership to clients, including maintaining overall client relationships, providing oversight for project teams, ensuring ultimate completion of high-quality deliverables.
- Provide high-level consulting and provide clear and credible counsel as it relates to digital strategy and marketing.
- Participate in strategic planning for the overall well-being of the company.
- Provide supervision of staff as assigned. Assess performance of direct reports and provide regular and ongoing constructive feedback; conduct 90-day and annual performance reviews.
- Meet an annual billable revenue goal.
- Serve as a member of the MG team, providing ideas and input on strategic and creative challenges, assisting with project implementation, supporting internal projects and fulfilling other duties necessary for the success of the organization.
NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT:
- Participate in and support efforts on an ongoing basis that build the agency’s new business development pipeline and contribute to the overall enterprise-wide goals.
- Strengthen digital marketing position by contributing to our thought leadership and business development toolbox (e.g., tracking and sharing trends and new developments in the field, developing innovative models, writing point-of-view and approach pieces, presenting at conferences, volunteer leadership, crafting compelling client case studies).
- Engage in and support networking and relationship-building with potential clients, including proposal development, new business pitches, and interviews.
- Cultivate new business on an ongoing basis that builds the agency’s pipeline and contributes to overall enterprise-wide goals.
We encourage all applicants, irrespective of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability or other identities. We encourage candidates with less traditional backgrounds and experiences to apply—even if they don’t believe they meet every expectation outlined below.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and a track record of experience in, digital and social media at both a strategic and operational level.
- Ability to audit/measure, design and evolve a digital approach based on a deep understanding of today’s users and insights into the evolving needs of tomorrow’s users.
- Consulting, technical assistance and training experience are preferred.
- Excellent analytical, written, persuasive and inspirational verbal skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership style and superlative teamwork, including a commitment to supporting the development of the skills of others.
- An interest in—and preferably an ability to—engage and build relationships, to make introductions, generate leads, cultivate new business prospects, and close and grow work and referrals.
- Ability to prepare and present winning proposals, and lead and close effective marketing meetings.
- Direct management experience, including staff supervision, budgeting, program oversight, etc.
- Strong, demonstrated and consistent project management experience.
- Availability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working with diverse communities is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Bilingual or fluency in other language(s) is preferred but not required.
- Must be authorized to accept employment in the United States.
Contributions to our Culture
- Provide high-quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients while leveraging the talents of the team.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Contribute positively to the psychological safety of an intercultural environment.
- Support and embody the organization’s values, goals and operating principles.
- Have upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
The Senior Digital Strategist is a full-time exempt position. The salary range for this position is negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with company compensation structure.
- All employees are eligible for bonuses based on individual and company performance.
- MG has a profit share program and distributes 20 percent of profits to employees based on an allocation formula.
- Employer-paid medical/vision insurance on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Dental insurance paid at 50 percent by employer on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Employer-paid life, short- and long-term disability insurance plans available on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Fifteen paid vacation days per year after the first 90 days of employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of employment (up to a total of 20 vacation days).
- Ten days of wellness leave available per year, accruable up to 20 days.
- One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven years of continuous employment.
- MG paid holidays off: New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and one personal holiday of choice.
- Our 401(k) retirement plan is available to employees in the first calendar quarter after six months of full-time employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred contributions into the plan up to the maximum allowable amount. MG will make an annual contribution equal to 3 percent of your compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
- Monthly transportation and cell phone allowance.
- Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year.
- Professional development program.
- MG to reimburse for work-related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
Other Items of Note
Hours & Location
Metropolitan Group values work/life balance. As such our staff averages 40–45 hours per week, as well as any additional time necessary depending on client deadlines and internal projects.
Although we would prefer a candidate who is easily accessible to our offices in Portland, OR or Washington, D.C., we are flexible on location since many of our employees work remotely.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Metropolitan Group, we know that diverse backgrounds, experiences and cultures strengthen our work and our workplace. We strive to create an intercultural workplace through greater recognition, understanding and appreciation of a broad range of differences among individuals and groups within society, and to incorporate an intercultural perspective in our work.