Are you looking to join a group of change agents working to understand and advance ways of creating a society where everyone thrives? Metropolitan Group is looking for a senior director, based in Portland, Oregon, or Washington, D.C., who is passionately committed to creating a more just and sustainable world through work at the intersection of social justice, public health and the environment.
The senior director will work in collaboration with members of the MG/ ISMG team across the company on a variety of client accounts. They will develop, implement and evaluate the impact of powerful social marketing, public will building, movement and coalition building efforts, and policy change initiatives. They will work on diverse social issues, often with a focus at the intersections of environment and sustainability, public health and social justice.
Ideal candidates are comfortable in a fast-paced, billable environment. They are detail-oriented, have strong writing and research skills, are active listeners, and thrive when working on and balancing multiple projects at one time. The candidate will:
- Serve as account lead for projects and/or lead major aspects of projects, primarily in MG/ISMG’s public health portfolio.
- Design, develop and deliver effective services for capacity building, formative research and direct strategic communication for social change with a range of clients and partners.
- Collaborate with and facilitate engagement of diverse community members, allies and partner organizations.
- Create and/or assist in development of culturally-appropriate tools and approaches relevant to diverse communities and stakeholders.
General Responsibilities Include
But Are Not Limited To:
- Communication strategy: Co-design, implement and evaluate the full range of strategic communication strategies and tactics, including: public will building, social marketing, public and media relations, brand platform and creative development, issue framing and message development, brand and mission promotion, reputation and issues management, audience and grassroots engagement, etc. Plan and execute strategic communication and digital marketing efforts, and provide clients with counsel on gaining relevant and effective earned media and digital media coverage.
- Campaign implementation: Co-develop and implement strategies, tools, community engagement efforts (grassroots and grass tops) and campaigns to build public and political will.
- Research and evaluation: Conduct marketing and communication program audits to assess issue framing and/or an organization’s capacity and impact through executive interviews, facilitated group discussions and focus groups, marketing and strategy materials reviews, news audits to examine the extent to which the client’s message is being reflected in earned media coverage and other research methods.
- Writing and storytelling: Write a wide range of communication and storytelling materials, including podcasts, talking points, video storyboards, speeches, op-eds and other thought pieces, research reports, and copy to infuse social media, digital platforms and collateral.
- Community engagement: Design and (co-)facilitate client and community work sessions and informal discussion groups, e.g., to surface shared values and priorities.
- Account management: Provide account and budget management services to clients, including maintaining overall client relationships, providing oversight for project teams, ensuring completion of deliverables and responsibly managing program budgets.
- Other responsibilities for clients may include:
- Workshop design and facilitation; equity assessments; strategic planning; organizational culture change; leadership development and capacity building.
- Public affairs counsel to government agencies and issue-based coalitions; policy/advocacy campaign planning, strategy and execution.
- Seven to 10 years of experience in strategic communication (any combination of storytelling, public will building and social marketing, media and public relations, issue framing and message development), community engagement, coalition building, public affairs and policy, etc. This requirement may also be met by experience that includes strategic communication and a combination of organizational development and intercultural communication/engagement.
- Commitment to social justice and experience with social change and advocacy.
- Superlative analytical, collaborative leadership and coalition building skills.
- Excellent persuasive and inspirational verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- Experience managing projects of at least $250,000.
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate and develop new business and marketing opportunities within the last five years.
- Strong, demonstrated and consistent project and budget management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher or commensurate lived experience preferred.
- Availability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (pending assessment of COVID-19 protocols and conditions).
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Experience working internationally and in diverse political systems and cultures is preferred but not required.
- Bilingual or fluency in other language(s) is preferred but not required.
- Must be authorized to accept employment in the United States.
We encourage all applicants, irrespective of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability or other identities. We encourage candidates with less traditional backgrounds and experiences to apply—even if they don’t believe they meet every requirement outlined above.
- Provide high-quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients, while leveraging the talents of the team.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Contribute positively to the psychological safety of an intercultural environment.
- Support and embody MG values, goals and operating principles.
- Have an upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
The Senior Director is a full-time exempt position. The base starting salary for this position is $70,000 per year, and is negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with MG/ISMG compensation structure.
- All employees are eligible for bonuses based on individual and company performance.
- MG has a profit share program and distributes 20 percent of profits to employees based on an allocation formula.
- Employer-paid medical/vision insurance on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Dental insurance paid at 50 percent by employer on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Employer-paid life, short- and long-term disability insurance plans available on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Fifteen paid vacation days per year after the first 90 days of employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of employment (up to a total of 20 vacation days).
- Ten days of wellness leave available per year, accruable up to 20 days.
- One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven years of continuous employment.
- MG paid holidays include New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and a personal holiday of choice.
- Our 401(k) retirement plan is available to employees in the first calendar quarter after six months of full-time employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred contributions into the plan up to the maximum allowable amount. MG will make an annual contribution equal to 3 percent of your compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
- Monthly transportation and cell phone allowance.
- Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year.
- Professional development program.
- MG to reimburse for work-related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
Other Items of Note
Professional hours of 40 – 45 hours per week, as well as any additional time necessary depending on client deadlines and internal projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Metropolitan Group, we know that diverse backgrounds, experiences and cultures strengthen our work and our workplace. We strive to create an intercultural workplace through greater recognition, understanding and appreciation of a broad range of differences among individuals and groups within society, and to incorporate an intercultural perspective in our work.
Send a cover letter and resume to JoinTheTeam@metgroup.com. Anticipated hire date will be in May 2022.