Are you looking to join a group of change agents working to understand and advance ways of creating a society where everyone thrives? Metropolitan Group is looking for a senior associate, based in Portland, Oregon, or Washington, D.C., who is passionately committed to creating a more just and sustainable world through work at the intersection of social justice, public health and the environment.
Position Summary: Senior Associate
Working out of our headquarters in Portland, Oregon, or in our Washington, D.C., office, the Senior Associate will collaborate with other members of the MG/ISMG team on a variety of client projects. They will work on diverse social issues often with a focus at the intersections of environment and sustainability, public health and social justice. The ideal candidates are comfortable in a collaborative, mission and impact focused billable environment. They are detail-oriented, have strong writing and research skills, are active listeners, comfortable working with diverse communities, and thrive when working on and balancing multiple projects at one time.
Including, But Not Limited to the Following
- Support teams working on the design, implementation and evaluation of the full range of strategic communication, organizational strategy and intercultural engagement strategies for nonprofit, foundation and government clients.
- Contribute to client projects through writing, research, media relations and social media, as well as other areas of experience you bring.
- Write a wide range of communication materials, including content (web and social), news releases, briefing papers, memos, plans, etc.
- Conduct research, including online scans of website, social media and media coverage; quantitative research through polls, surveys, etc.; and qualitative research through interviews, focus groups, listening sessions, etc.
- Analyze data and information to synthesize findings and develop recommendations, and draft research reports.
- Support project management on selected accounts, including managing budgets, workplans, client updates, and team coordination and communication.
- Serve as a member of the MG/ISMG team, providing ideas and input on strategic and creative challenges, assisting with project implementation, supporting internal projects and fulfilling other duties necessary for the success of the organization.
- At least four years of experience in strategic communication
(any combination of storytelling, public will building and social marketing, media and public relations, issue framing and message development), community engagement, coalition building,
policy, public affairs and policy, etc. This requirement may also
be met by experience that includes strategic communication
and a combination of organizational strategy and intercultural communication/engagement.
- Commitment to social justice and experience with social change and advocacy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated public relations or strategic communication experience.
- Demonstrated and consistent project and budget management experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
- Consulting/agency experience
- Bi-lingual or fluency in other language(s).
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- Provide high quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients.
- Have upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Contribute positively to the psychological safety of an intercultural environment.
- Support and embody the organization’s values, goals and operating principles.
- Professional hours of 40–45 hours per week, as well as any additional time necessary depending on client deadlines and internal projects.
This position is a full-time exempt position. The starting base salary for this position is $55,000 per year, and is negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with company compensation structure
- All employees are eligible for bonuses based on individual and company performance.
- MG has a profit share program and distributes 20 percent of profits to employees based on an allocation formula.
- Employer-paid medical/vision insurance on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Dental insurance paid at 50 percent by employer on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Employer-paid life, short- and long-term disability insurance plans available on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Fifteen paid vacation days per year after the first 90 days of employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of employment (up to a total of 20 additional vacation days).
- Ten days of wellness leave available per year, accruable up to 20 days.
- One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven years of continuous employment.
- MG paid holidays include New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and a personal holiday of choice.
- Our 401 (k) retirement plan is available to employees in the first calendar quarter after six months of full-time employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred contributions into the plan up to the maximum allowable amount. MG will make an annual contribution equal to 3 percent of your compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
- Monthly transportation and cell phone allowance.
- Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year,
- Professional development program.
- MG to reimburse for work related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
Other items of note
90-day review; 360 review after the first year of employment and then every three years; annual plan in non-360 review years includes self- evaluation and supervisor evaluation. Periodic/informal reviews and “check ins” as needed or requested by either party.
COVID 19 Update
All employees are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A reopen date for offices has not been announced at this time. We continue to monitor guidance provided by local/state/federal health authorities (our earliest re-open date will be after July 1). We are also currently restricting work travel.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Metropolitan Group, we know that diverse backgrounds, experiences and cultures strengthen our work and our workplace. We strive to create an intercultural workplace through greater recognition, understanding and appreciation of a broad range of differences among individuals and groups within society, and to incorporate an intercultural perspective in our work. We encourage all applicants, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, or other identity.