Few people in history have contributed more to our collective culture and remained more relevant throughout the ages than William Shakespeare. 2016 is the 400th anniversary of his death and Metropolitan Group is proud to work with the Folger Shakespeare Library, home to the world’s largest Shakespeare collection, to design and partner on this year-long commemoration. Together with the Folger, MG conducted national research to inform programming and messages, developed a message framework and a national commemoration campaign strategy and developed partnerships, promotions and engagement programs to provide millions of Americans with the opportunity to engage with the greatest storyteller of all time and to share their own stories.
The Wonder of Will commemoration includes:
- A national social media initiative that invites everyone to share their Shakespeare story: #MySHX400.
- The Wonder of Will LIVE—a national broadcast on Book TV on the day of the 400th, featuring diverse speakers sharing their Shakespeare Stories. Presenters ranged from movie star Kal Penn to Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, and was promoted to millions by over 50 major cultural institutions that served as co-hosts.
- National media relations that have generated hundreds of stories including features with the New York Times, NPR, The Washington Post and major media nationwide.
- Development of a National Theater Partnership program bringing together 50 of the leading Shakespeare theaters with millions of audience members to share Shakespeare content.
- Partnership with Apple to launch a Shakespeare 400th room on iTunes featuring books, music, podcasts, movies and linking iTunes visitors to the celebration.
- Promotion of the 50 state tour of the First Folio (the book that brought us Shakespeare) and of three blockbuster exhibits at the Folger.
The Wonder of Will reminds us that Shakespeare belongs to us all; that his world is vast, and it explores the imagination and the human heart—and ultimately, the Wonder of Will invites everyone to come explore.