Justice is about healing. That’s what justice is.— Eric Cumberbatch, Center for Policing Equity
Alacia believes in amplifying people and communities closest to systemic issues, and uplifting organizations that exist to make our world better for everyone.
She works at the intersections of organizational and communications strategy, public health and social justice to nurture and grow community capacity for solving problems.
Her areas of expertise include:
- Strategic communications
- Media relations strategy
- Spokesperson training
- Story-mining and storytelling
- Values-aligned leadership coaching
- Coalition management
Alacia is a community and impact-oriented strategist with deep media and government relations experience.
- Prior to joining MG, she served as Director of Communications in the New York City Mayor’s Office, where she led communications for community-based gun violence prevention initiatives and the plan to close the Rikers Island jail complex.
- She is credited with turning around public perception of New York’s legal battle with Airbnb, which has enabled the City and State to develop a regulatory model for short-term rentals.
- Alacia worked as Communications Director for Preschool for All, successfully positioning Portland’s equity-driven universal preschool policy as a national model.
- She served as a communications and policy staffer in the Portland Mayor’s Office and has consulted with a variety of local and national organizations on communications and public affairs strategy.
Alacia holds a Bachelor of Science in Journalism & Communication from the University of Oregon and a Master of Science in Strategic Communication from Columbia University.
Alacia focuses her volunteer energy with local Black, femme-led organizations working to end racism in Portland and build new systems that are rooted in collective care.
Self-described as “medium adventurous,” Alacia equally appreciates the outdoors and indoors. She enjoys camping, wakeboarding, snowboarding, live comedy and music, puzzles and reading fiction.