EVP, Organizational Strategy and Innovation
Are you looking to join a group of change agents working to understand and advance ways of creating a society where everyone thrives? Metropolitan Group is looking for an Executive Vice President in Organizational Strategy and Innovation who is passionately committed to creating a more just and sustainable world through work at the intersection of social justice, public health and the environment.
Metropolitan Group seeks a senior staff member to lead our work
in Organizational Strategy and Innovation (OSI). We are looking
for someone passionately committed to creating a more just and
sustainable world through work at the intersection of environment,
public health and social justice.
In our OSI Practice, we work with change agents in moments of cultural
and organizational transformation, innovation and opportunity.
We accelerate greater impact by building visionary and actionable
plans, supporting effective values-based organizational cultures,
building capacity and skills, facilitating implementation, designing
evaluation and learning, building equity and dismantling racism.
We provide support to clearly communicate change early and often
to gain diverse perspectives up front, build shared ownership, and
share the “why” behind changes so people see the benefit to the
organization, its mission and their role within it.
Our services—strategy, culture, capacity and skills development,
experiential design and facilitation, and Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity
and Inclusion—can be combined and tailored to our clients’ needs. And
we apply an intercultural lens to everything we do. We work with our
OSI clients in four service areas:
- Advance Desired Culture and Manage Culture Change
- Develop Strategies and Structures
- Build Capacity and Advance Skills Development
- Deliver Experiential Design and Facilitation
See more information about our OSI Practice.
We often work on projects that integrate services from our
other practice areas (Strategic Communication and Intercultural
Engagement) and seek a leader who is experienced and comfortable in
leveraging diverse expertise to meet client needs.
The position plays an important role in leading the company’s business
development and team capacity building for overall growth of the OSI
practice and MG/ISMG. The ideal candidate will be passionate about
advancing organizational strategy and innovation to increase impact
and advance social justice.
Including, But Not Limited to the Following:
- Provide expert consulting for strategy and planning, organizational
and equity assessments, leadership and board development,
change management, systems design and other key initiatives.
- Provide strategic direction to MG teams working on accounts where
you are the strategic lead.
- Add innovative knowledge and build the capacity of teams and
team members working on specific projects where technical
experience is required (e.g., ED&I assessments, revenue and
sustainability modeling, environmental conflict resolution).
- Nurture long-term client relationships, manage budgets and
timelines, and provide oversight for project teams.
New Business Development:
- Cultivate new business on an ongoing basis that builds the agency’s
new business development pipeline and that contributes to the
overall enterprise-wide goals.
- Lead full process from relationship to close of new business to
achieve annual new and expanded contract goals.
- Lead a portfolio of current and recent clients and prospects with
responsibility for developing and closing continued work together
with other members of the account team on an annual basis.
- Meet an individual New Business Development (NBD) goal as
defined for your position annually.
- Strengthen the Organizational Strategy and Innovation practice
area’s marketing position by contributing to our thought leadership
and business development toolbox (e.g., tracking and sharing
cutting edge trends and new developments in the field, developing
innovative models, writing point-of-view and approach pieces,
presenting at conferences, volunteer leadership, crafting compelling
client case studies).
- Work with specific team members to leverage your and their
relationships in connection to particular client prospects.
Leadership & Support:
- Build staff skills in specific areas of OSI work through mentoring,
periodic lunch-and-learn trainings, sharing important news and
thought pieces, etc.
- Provide high-level consulting and provide clear and credible
- Participate in strategic planning for the overall well-being of the
- Meet an annual billable revenue goal.
- Serve as a member of MG’s leadership team, providing ideas and
input on strategic and creative challenges, assisting with project
implementation, supporting internal projects and fulfilling other
duties necessary for the success of the organization.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- At least 15 years of proven leadership and consulting experience
in organizational strategy and culture change with social purpose
- Expert level practitioner, demonstrated by any combination of lived experience, success and results in the field, and/or credentials––
academic background or certifications.
- Experience working with multiple organizations of diverse sizes,
structures and sectors. International and Latin American experience
preferred but not required.
- Highly experienced working on issues of equity and inclusion;
comfort talking about racism; ideally has been on a journey of
anti-racism; and demonstrated experience with multicultural and
intercultural communication and its application to institutional
- Demonstrated ability in facilitation, fostering co-creation and
guiding organizations and/or teams through the typical stages of
major initiatives, planning and transformation processes.
- Persuasive written and verbal communication skills with the ability
to write and present for diverse audiences ranging from executive
leaders to the general public.
- Demonstrated track record of capacity building and helping
organizations and/or clients gain skills, systems and other capacities
that strengthen their organization and its efficacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of diverse innovative
tools for effective OSI work, and knows how to customize these to
maximize results for clients.
New Business Development:
- Strong track record and skill at relationship-based marketing—ability
to engage and build relationships, to make introductions, generate
leads, cultivate new business prospects, and close and grow work
- Ability to prepare and present winning proposals, and lead and
close effective marketing meetings.
- Proven ability to identify opportunities and land new business
with track record of achieving or exceeding goals of at least $1M
- Successful track record landing large public sector, foundation and
NGO accounts and projects.
- Have a highly visible, strong and diverse network for bringing in
new clients and practitioners as contractors.
- Comfortable with large scale and smaller sized clients with limited
- Executive presence with strong public speaking and thought
- Management experience with accounts/budgets of $500,000
- Skilled at working in diverse teams, mentoring and developing the
skills of others.
- Ability and willingness to build the capacity of clients.
- Proven ability to clearly articulate models and ideas and
- Passion and interest in exploring the intersection of environment
and sustainability, public health and social justice issues.
- Ability to manage others, and hold team members from every level
of the agency accountable.
- Experience working with diverse communities is required as is
effective work in a multicultural environment.
- Bi-lingual or fluency in other language(s) is preferred but not
- Must be authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
- Provide high quality, professional project management services and
expertise on multiple projects in a fast-paced agency.
- Have upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Support and embody the organization’s values, goals and operating
- Availability to travel as needed once COVID-19 is managed to a level
where travel is safe.
This position is a full-time exempt position. Salary is negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with company compensation structure. The base for this salary range is $165,000 per year.
- Bonus program: All employees are eligible for bonuses based on
individual and company performance.
- Profit share program: MG distributes 20 percent of profits to
employees based on an allocation formula.
- Employer-paid medical/vision insurance on the first of the month
following employment start date.
- Dental insurance paid at 50 percent by employer on the first of the
month following employment start date.
- Employer-paid life, short – and long-term disability insurance plans
available on the first of the month following employment start date.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Fifteen paid vacation days per year after the first 90 days of
employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of
employment (up to a total of 20 additional vacation days).
- Ten days of wellness leave available per year, accruable up to
- One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven
years of continuous employment.
- MG paid holidays off: New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, President’s Day,
Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day,
the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and a personal holiday
- 401(k)-retirement plan: You are eligible to participate in this
program on the first calendar quarter after six-months of full-time employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred
contributions into the plan up to the maximum allowable amount.
MG will make an annual contribution equal to three percent of your
compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
- Monthly transportation and cell phone allowance.
- Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year.
- Professional development program.
- MG to reimburse for work-related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
Other items of note
After a 90-day trial period; 360 review after first year of employment
and then every three years; annual plan/review, periodic/informal
reviews and “check-ins” as needed or requested by either party.
All employees are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19
pandemic. A reopen date for offices has not been announced at this
time. We continue to monitor guidance provided by local/state/federal
health authorities (our earliest re-open date will be after July 1). We are
also currently restricting work travel.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Metropolitan Group, we know that diverse backgrounds, experiences
and cultures strengthen our work and our workplace. We strive to create
a multicultural workplace through greater recognition, understanding
and appreciation of a broad range of differences among individuals and
groups within society, and to incorporate a multicultural perspective
in our work. We encourage all applicants, regardless of gender, race,
religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability or other