Are you looking to join a group of change agents working to understand and advance ways of creating a society where everyone thrives? Metropolitan Group is looking for a director, based in Portland, Oregon, or Washington, D.C., who is passionately committed to creating a more just and sustainable world through work at the intersection of social justice, public health and the environment.
The director will work in collaboration with members of the MG team across the company on a variety of client accounts. They will develop, implement and evaluate the impact of powerful social marketing, public will building, movement and coalition building efforts, and policy change initiatives. They will work on diverse social issues often with a focus at the intersections of environment and sustainability, public health and social justice.
Ideal candidates are comfortable in a fast-paced, billable environment. They are detail-oriented, have strong writing and research skills, are active listeners, and thrive when working on and balancing multiple projects at one time.
- Serve as account lead for smaller projects and/or support major aspects of more complex projects under the strategic direction of one of our executives.
- Design and develop effective delivery of services for capacity building, technical assistance and direct strategic communication for social change.
- Collaborate with and facilitate engagement of diverse stakeholders, allies and partner organizations.
- Create and/or assist in development of culturally appropriate tools and approaches relevant to diverse communities and stakeholders.
Including, But Not Limited to the Following:
- Communication strategy: Co-design, implement and evaluate the full range of strategic communication strategies and tactics, including: public will building, social marketing, public and media relations, brand platform and creative development, issue framing and message development, brand and mission promotion, reputation and issues management, audience and grassroots engagement, etc. Plan and execute strategic communication and digital marketing efforts, providing clients with counsel on gaining relevant and effective earned media and digital media coverage.
- Campaign implementation: Co-develop and implement strategies, tools, stakeholder engagement efforts (grassroots and grasstops), and campaigns to build public and political will.
- Research and evaluation: Conduct marketing and communication program audits to assess issue framing and/or an organization’s capacity and impact through: executive interviews, facilitated group discussions and focus groups, marketing and strategy materials reviews, news audits to examine the extent to which the client’s message is being reflected in earned media coverage, and other research methods.
- Writing and storytelling: Write a wide range of communication and storytelling materials, including podcasts, talking points, video storyboards, speeches, op-eds and other thought pieces, research reports, and copy to infuse social media, digital platforms and collateral.
- Stakeholder engagement: Design and (co-)facilitate client and community work sessions and informal discussion groups, e.g., to surface shared values and priorities.
- Account management: Provide account and budget management services to clients, including maintaining overall client relationships, providing oversight for project teams, ensuring completion of deliverables and responsibly managing program budgets.
At least seven years of experience in strategic communication (any combination of storytelling, public will building and social marketing, media and public relations, issue framing and message development), community engagement, coalition building, public affairs and policy, etc. This requirement may also be met by experience that includes strategic communication and a combination of organizational development and intercultural communication/engagement
- Commitment to social justice and experience with social change and advocacy
- Superlative analytical, collaborative leadership and coalition building skills
- Excellent persuasive and inspirational verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Experience managing accounts/projects of at least $100,000
- Strong, demonstrated and consistent project and budget management experience
- Availability to travel as needed
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Must be authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
- Consulting / agency experience
- Bi-lingual or fluency in other language(s)
- Provide high-quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients.
- Meet an annual billable goal.
- Serve as a member of the MG team, providing ideas and input on strategic and creative challenges, assisting with project implementation, supporting internal projects and fulfilling other duties necessary for the success of the organization.
- Have an upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem-solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Support and embody the organization’s values, goals and operating principles.
- Professional hours of 40-45 hours per week, as well as any additional time necessary depending on client deadlines and internal projects.
This position is a full-time exempt position. The starting base salary for this position is $68,000 per year, and is negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with company compensation structure.
- Bonus program: All employees are eligible for bonuses based on individual and company performance.
- Profit share program: MG distributes 20% of profits to employees based on an allocation formula.
- Employer-paid medical/vision insurance on the first of the month following employment.
- Dental insurance paid at 50% by employer on the first of the month following employment.
- Employer-paid life, short-term and long-term disability insurance plans available on the first of the month following employment.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Monthly transportation and cell phone allowance.
- Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year.
- Professional development program.
- Ten paid vacation days per year after first 90 days of employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of employment (up to a total of 15 additional vacation days); one spiritual holiday of your choice.
- Five days of wellness leave available per year, accruable up to 20 days.
- One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven years of continuous employment.
- MG paid holidays off: New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- MG to reimburse for work-related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
- 401(k)-retirement plan: You are eligible to participate in this program on the first calendar quarter after six months of full-time employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred contributions up to the maximum allowable amount into the plan. MG will make an annual contribution equal to 3% of your compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
Other items of note
After a 90-day trial period: annual formal review, periodic/informal reviews and “check-ins” as needed or requested by either party.
Professional office attire. All employees are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A reopen date for offices has not been announced at this time. We continue to monitor guidance provided by local/state/federal health authorities.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
At Metropolitan Group, we know that diverse backgrounds, experiences and cultures strengthen our work and our workplace. We strive to create a multicultural workplace through greater recognition, understanding and appreciation of a broad range of differences among individuals and groups within society, and to incorporate a multicultural perspective in our work. We encourage all applicants, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability or other social identity.
Send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples (examples include but are not limited to: case studies, proposals, social media post(s), articles, website content, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Search will remain open until the position is filled.